Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Mirror Mirror

There is one thing in my house that always tells me the truth. It's brutally honest to the core because it can't be anything different. It was specifically created for one purpose and one purpose only. My reflection stares back at me as I glaze into the mirror. There's no hiding, no denying... that's me. There's a great sense of authenticity in our nakedness. As in my case, it's usually the authenticity that I'm trying to avoid. I instantly start picking apart my "authentic" self. My eyes focus on the things I don't like rather than the things I do.  

So this is where  a necessary perspective change comes in handy. As we journey through the idea of what it means to be an authentic woman, we pause to take a look in the mirror. We look past the insecurities that try to sabotage our confidence, and we discover the authenticity in nakedness. 

In the Song of Solomon, we are invited on the honeymoon of Solomon and his new bride. Upon seeing each other for the first time, Solomon expresses a powerful statement that redefines beauty.  "You are altogether beautiful, my darling, there is no flaw in you." (Song of Solomon 4:7) 

As I've been studying the Song of Solomon, this verse continues to resonant in my mind. At first glance, it's hard to believe. No flaws. Really? But if you give it further study and let it sink in, you will find that Solomon isn't telling her that she has the perfect body, but rather that her imperfections make her beautiful! He's appreciating her uniqueness! Everybody has flaws, but what Solomon is saying to his wife is, "Baby, you are my wife and I love everything about you!" And that my friends, is the definition of authentic nakedness. 

Now when I look in the mirror, I remember the power of God's Word and I embrace my uniqueness. I see the "flaws," but my perspective is different. Often this takes several reminders because this world portrays a very different image of beauty, but with God's Word in my mind, I have the power to overcome the worldly thoughts. And you do too! Authenticity looks at those stretch marks and sees them as a sign of your sacrifice! Authenticity looks at the extra layers as a soft pillow for your children's heads. Authenticity looks at the drooping skin as wisdom that comes with age. Authenticity looks at the wrinkles as many smiles that brightened the days of others. 

Nakedness is not something to be shamed off, but something to be embraced. You are altogether beautiful, my darling, there is no flaw in you! 

Embracing the skin I'm in, 
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment